Citizens for Safe Technology
Empowering the public to protect children
and nature from unsafe wireless technologies.
Smart Meters and Grids
SMART METERS and GRIDS OVERVIEW
MAILING ADDRESS for BC HYDRO SMART METER CLASS ACTION:
Coalition to Stop Smart Meters
PO Box 52061
Beacon Ave. RPO
Sidney, BC V8L 5V9
EMAIL address for Greg Reimer, BC HYDRO: email@example.com
Looking for a specific topic or a past article? Search for it below:
First posted January, 2012: Links to reports and videos that implicate Smart Meters in causing house fires and explosions (updated August, 2012)
Links to articles and videos that report links of Smart Meters to house fires:
Langford - Fire on Sooke Lake Road August 27, 2014
South Vancouver - Two Smart Meter Fires, Appliances all blown August 21, 2012
Fire guts Mission Home (includes links to other fires in BC)
Nanaimo Fire December 2, 2011 "Meter started smoking, leaves family in the dark."
Electrical explosion at Naples Bay Resort December 19, 2011 "A Vanguard Utility Services electrician was reportedly installing a new FPL Smart Meter . . . when an electrical fault and arc occurred, creating a fireball."
MFB probes smart-meter fire risk / Metropolitan Fire Brigade / Power November 7, 2011 ". . . public alert about smart meters because it was "too early" to draw any link. . ."
Pickering smart meter explodes / Toronto and GTA / News / Toronto SunOctober 4, 2011 Video Couple may have to pay for replacement . . .
Fire investigators probe link between smart meters and house fires / Herald Sun The Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board has launched an investigation into a possible link between smart meters and house fires.
Local 2 Investigates Smart Meter FiresNovember 14, 2011 It's a danger homeowners called about when they were stuck with no electricity and major damage to their homes.
Fires Spark During Smart Meter InstallationsAugust 19, 2010 Arlington Local News
Improper Smart Meter Installation Causes FiresSmart Meters installed with power on - Fire results
Arcing Meter Hazards / Smart Meter Fire in DiamondHeadNovember 12, 2011 PGE cutting costs at expense of safety
Man says Smart Meter caught fire and shut down his businessNovember 25, 2011 Under investigation . . .
Smart Meter Fires and Explosions EMF Safety Network documentation
Fire at 160 Santa Rosa, San Francisco Smart Meter "incompatible with house wiring?"
"Meters that endanger: shocking details from a whistleblower."
Opinion piece: A rebuttal to BC Hydro's press release of August 25, 2014
In response to the recent Fire Report sent to media outlets in BC, Hydro released a press release in an attempt to refute it, without directly addressing it, saying that the smart meters are improving the safety of the $$mart grid.
Please note that Hydro does not deny that fires have occurred:
Attached is a rebuttal that Sharon Noble, Director of the Coalition to Stop Smart Meters in BC, has sent out to every media outlet and newspaper.
Please circulate it to your newspapers, and your contacts, too. Thank you!
Press Release from the Coalition to Stop Smart Meters, August 24, 2014
Sent all media outlets and newspapers in the province of British Columbia. Please direct queries to Sharon Noble, Director of Coalition to Stop Smart Meters in BC, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 250-478-7892. Please let Sharon know if you know of any newspapers that have published it.
Vancouver Sun report (with links to other incidents in BC and beyond) First posted August, 2012
Published on Aug 21, 2012
They replaced the old meter with a smart meter, had a fire. Then, they replaced the smart meter with new analog. Then, without permission they removed the new analog and replaced it with a smart meter. Then ANOTHER fire started in the kitchen. Many appliances were damaged.
Executive Summary (ES) for distribution - Click link to view the FULL REPORT
"It is vital that all of you help to get this smart metering program stopped NOW, not next year, NOW. Here is proof that smart meters are fire hazards. We must demand that they be removed from all homes. Even if you don't have one on your home, in all likelihood there is one near you. Fires spread.
"Why has there been denial that this risk exists? Profit, greed, corporate pressure, incompetence?
"Once we give this evidence to our MLAs, they cannot say they didn't know. They have a duty to do all they can to get these things off homes immediately, or else they become as guilty as Bill Bennett and Hydro.
B.C. Energy Minister Bill Bennett and BC Hydro state that there have been no fires or dangerous incidents involving smart meters. Are they deceitful or just incompetent?
EMR HEALTH ALLIANCE OF BC (EMRABC)
This posting contains information and details about smart meter and AMI fires.
Regardless of jurisdictions and electrical providers (B.C., Saskatchewan, Ontario, California, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Australia to name a few) and regardless of meter models and manufacturers such as Landis Gyr, Itron, General Electric, ComED, Sensus . . . a mounting number of fires have been attributed to Smart Meters.
Another Saskatchewan home has been hit by fire involving a "smart" power meter.
" . . . A Medicine Hat official has noted it's getting more and more calls for service due to overheating meters -- which tends to happen when the main socket on a house is old.
"City spokesperson Wilbur McLean said the old sockets may malfunction after being disturbed.
"As soon as you disturb that socket by removing a meter and put a new meter on it, it kind of awakens that issue," he said. "It doesn't matter what meter's going on that house." . . .
Take Back Your Power
An excellent article with some of the technical reasons for smart meter fires.
All smart meters have design flaws that could, have, and will result in fires.
Please send this information to your MLA, asking him/her to get these fire risks off our homes and out of our neighbourhoods. Just because you don't have one doesn't mean you are safe from a fire that could begin at your neighbour's home.
"Thought you knew the full story on the latest barrage of smart meter fires? Think again...
REPORTS and VIDEOS - SkyVision Solutions ... Raising Public Awareness and Finding Solutions to Smart Grid, Smart Meter, and Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation Concerns
Fire after fire after fire. How much risk is finally too much when the results of failure can be catastrophic?
One time donation: Click the donate button below and follow the instructions on the screen.
Monthly donation: If you wish to contribute every month, please select the amount from the Donation Options list below and click Subscribe. Your contribution will be sent for you every month for the amount you selected.
Citizens for Safe Technology (CST) is funded and supported solely by those who wish to help us. Thank-you for learning, sharing and helping if you can.
Meetings and events on the issue of wireless technologies in homes and communities throughout North America.
Click the button above to sign our online petition to return to hardwired computers in schools.
Click the button above to sign our online petition against Smart Meters in British Columbia.
Citizens For Safe Technology
"Wi-Fi: Is It Safe?"
Citizens for Safe Technology is a not-for-profit educational society made up of parents, grandparents, teachers, business professionals, scientists, politicians and lawyers concerned about the exponential increase in public exposure to harmful wireless technologies.
We believe a profound urgency exists to protect the unsuspecting public, especially children, youth and pregnant mothers from unsafe wireless technologies.
The content of the Citizens for Safe Technology website is provided for information purposes only. Information is subject to change without prior notice. Every effort has been taken to ensure that the information on this website is accurate, but no guarantees can be made.
Neither Citizens for Safe Technology nor its authors are liable for damages resulting from the use of information obtained from this site. The authors are not responsible for any contents linked or referred to from this website or any damages resulting from information on those sites.
The responsibility for the interpretation and use of the information on this site lies with the reader.